Thursday, September 24, 2009

Late Night Ruminating

I read Faust's Harvard graduation speech that Dunnigan sent out. After reading the first few chapters of Wild at Heart and then reading this article, the following quote really stuck out:

"Don’t park 20 blocks from your destination because you think you’ll never find a
space. Go where you want to be and then circle back to where you have to be."

Believe me, people asked me all kinds of ridiculous questions when I went to work for SigEp instead of pursuing the NYC or DC route...including questions from family and close friends (and even fraternity brothers).

I'd love to hear if you guys agree with me about this thought: What's most important in life is happiness. Happiness has nothing to do with your job title or job description (as Jess alluded to). Happiness to me is derived directly from:

1) relationships - family, friends, and God
2) personal development - traveling (living vicariously through Barrows), documenting life, reading, etc.
3) healthy living - eating well, exercising, sleeping well
4) career satisfaction - having goals, achieving goals, and building relationships with mentors
5) financial success - spending money wisely, saving money, and giving towards causes that have meaning to me

It is easy to take this list and derive goals in each category.

I came across this method of goal-making and how it could lead to happiness when I took a college class from a young adjunct professor in DC and it has stuck with me ever since.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Andrew Barrows said...

I love the message, don't ever under shoot your goals. Always aim for what you want no matter how high it might be. You will end up where you are meant to be and that just might be where you dreamt to be. But if not you will surely be in a better spot than if you would have aimed low in order to avoid failure.